Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Student's Perspective- Sierra in Spain

Perspective. The dictionary defines it as a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view and that's what it is. Perspective is all about a way of seeing things. Sometimes for prospective study abroad students it's better to hear another student who has gone abroad and their perspective about education abroad. Sometimes its more comforting and reassuring if a student sees someone who is  their age and someone from the same school as them who has gone abroad. So many students have dreams to travel the world, but are always a little hesitant to take that first step because it's out of their comfort zone and is something completely new. For students it's easier to relate to other students, someone who is in the same shoes as them at this very time, versus always hearing about it through a faculty perspective. I've decided to dedicate this blog post to seeing education abroad through another students perspective.

Sierra Hartman studied abroad this past summer in Spain for six weeks. Here is a little of Sierra's time abroad, the things she saw and experienced and how it changed her as a person.

I studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain for two months this past summer and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I studied International Business for 6 credits over a 6 week time span. I really enjoyed my classes and was surprised at how much I actually learned in such a small amount of time. I stayed in an apartment with 4 other girls, who I became really close with and hope to visit with within the year. Some of my favorite parts of being abroad was the architecture,  the streets, buildings, everything was just AMAZING. Barcelona has a lot of history but is still a really "young" city, when nighttime hit; the city would light up and all the people would come out. I have been back now for almost two months and I am already planning an internship abroad for next summer. It was such a rewarding experience for me, I got the chance to learn about other cultures, and learn a lot about myself along the way. Studying abroad is something everyone should do, for their career, and for themselves.

 I would have to agree with Sierra in saying that studying abroad is one of the best experiences you'll ever have in your life, it truly is. From viewing Sierra's perspective and knowing my own it just solidifies how much education abroad makes you grow as a person, gives you lifelong friends and helps you learn to about other cultures on a whole new level. Seeing a different part of the world allows you to open your eyes to whats going on in the world around you and how people live their lives differently from you. Like I know and Sierra seems to be aware of as well, is how important becoming culturally diverse is in the world we live in today. Education Abroad is a path that helps one start to become much more culturally diverse. 
Stay tuned for more student perspectives in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment